A Rigel

Long time no see! I’m not sure what possessed me to take photos of a jacket on much a muggy summer day but I’ve been wanting to share my Rigel for quite awhile. It’s definitely one of the fanciest things I’ve made (sewing skill wise) and I’m quite proud of how it came out.

The pattern says to use a woven but I had this Marc Jacobs knit (purchased from the Fabric Store in Wellington) that I really wanted to use. The clouds came rolling in as I went to take photos outside so the indoor lighting doesn’t really showcase the colour of it properly, it’s more orangey/reddish than the pictures.


Continue reading

Watermelon Burda 7082

When Spotlight was having a $5 sale, my mum asked me to get Burda 7082 for her. Then, while perusing the clearance table I spotted this really nice watermelon coloured knit (poly/lycra is my guess). It has some body but is still nice and drapey at the same time.

I made it quite awhile ago but forgot to photograph it until a cloudy April afternoon, hence the not so great photos. I also tried and failed to rope my mum in for a photoshoot. My mum’s measurements put her somewhere between a 10 and 12, so I made up View B in a 12 as she didn’t want it to be clingy. I found it pretty much ran true to size.

Continue reading

Sweat Courcelles

On a trip to Waihi/Tauranga over the summer I discovered the Tauranga branch of Moreland Fabrics… which had four floors. I ended up buying some lovely sweater knit fabric which was only $5 a metre!

By chance I found a French PDF pattern by Cozy Little World. The pattern has two options, one for a sweatshirt, the other for a cardigan style jacket. You can purchase the pattern here.


Continue reading

Sigma Dress

The Sigma dress gets the kudos of being the first pattern I have made twice. Each time I have loved it! It’s super simple to cut, fit and I can make it up in a few hours. After making the skirt version I decided to make the dress version with short sleeves and skirt with no pleats.


Continue reading

Feeling Princessy

Last year I was invited to a Disney themed party. I’d seen Simplicity 1553 last time I needed a costume and thought this was the perfect opportunity to try it.

I chose the Sleeping Beauty option and made it out of some cheap costume satin from Spotlight. I lined it with a poplin from Geoffs.

Continue reading

Sigma Skirt

Hi all! I have been away from the blogging world for quite sometime and lately I’ve been missing it! So I finally roped in a friend to take pictures of all my (many!) makes between April last year and now… I’ll post them all here over the next few weeks. In life news I chopped my hair from halfway down my back to my collarbone last year, which was definitely a change! I’m also starting uni this year which will hopefully mean more time to sew and that I might be able to partake in Me Made May!

To start off my queue of makes, here is the skirt (variation with no gathers) version of the Sigma dress by Papercut Patterns! I cut a size m with no alterations but I could probably have cut a small, there is quite a lot of room in it, especially in actual skirt. The top is something I ordered from Asos that looked horrific on me, however I chopped off the bottom and really like it as a crop top. I wore this to my 18th birthday in December and it was very easy to wear and super simple to make up… I started it on the morning of my birthday as the origami style skort I had made and planned to wear looked awful!

The fabric is an oriental brocade I found at Spotlight while taking advantage of a pattern sale. At $10/m I just couldn’t say no!


Here is me trying to get all model-ly, don’t let that fool you though as this was the next photo…

I’ve also made the dress version of the Sigma but that is for another day. Finally I will leave you with this, one of the many more…interesting snaps from our little photoshoot.

Hummingbird Dress

As I mentioned in a previous post, I recently made a dress using Simplicity 1652.

I used a $3 a metre (clearance table) polyester fabric. This fabric is so lovely, I actually thought it was silk, until I did a burn test! I lined with a cotton lawn in a colour called “bone”. In retrospect, I which I had chosen a different lining, but at least the cotton is breathable. Here is the dress…


Continue reading